Introduction to Synchronizing
Automatic Synchronizing Considerations and Applications
This technical paper provides an explanation of the automatic synchronizing process, explores the considerations involved and examines synchronizing applications for selection of the proper synchronizer.
In its simplest form, synchronizing is the process of electrically connecting additional generators to an existing bus.
Often, the necessity for synchronizing and parallel generator operation is based on the following:
- The rated generating capacity of an existing system has been exceeded by new load demands.
- Enhanced reliability (multiple generating vs. single unit generating) needs to be considered.
- Operating efficiency of generator sets is a valid concern.
These additional generators are connected to operate in parallel with each other and supply power to the same load. The additional oncoming generators must be synchronized properly to ensure:
- Minimal disturbance to the bus.
- Minimal shock to the generator, mechanical and electrical.
- Rapid loading of the oncoming generator to take on its share.
The synchronizing equipment selected depends on the generating equipment.
Read more with an approved Basler account.