BE1-CDS240, Current Differential Protection System with Voltage
A three-phase, 2-, 3-, or 4-restraint multifunction protection system that provides percentage-restrained differential protection along with overcurrent, voltage, frequency, breaker failure, control, metering, monitoring, and alarm functions.
|IEEE Device Functions
- Complete protection and metering for two- to four-restraint differential applications with standard three-phase voltage and independent ground inputs.
- Flexibility to configure the protection and control system with BESTlogic™ using 10 to 14 contact outputs and eight to 12 contact inputs, plus a dedicated alarm output.
- Harmonic restraint prevents nuisance tripping during transformer inrush or overexcitation conditions.
- Confirmation of proper CT connections provided by detailed differential check report.
- "Virtual circuits" allow internal summing of two or three sets of current inputs for use in protection and metering.
- Minimize costly panel changes when installing horizontal or vertical configurations. All have drawout construction with CT shorting capability and fit cutout and drilling dimensions for many common Basler Electric, GE, and Westinghouse differential relays.
- Simplify installation with internal compensation for all common combinations of delta, wye, and zig-zag connections. Phase shift and tap compensation are set automatically based on simple selection of transformer and CT connection, or on direct entry of IEC transformer vector groups through Graphical User Interface (GUI).
- Nonvolatile storage of all target, oscillography, fault records, and Sequence of Events Record (SER) data.
Instruction Manual Chapter
Software Tool (spreadsheet)
- Technical Paper: A Derivation of Symmetrical Component Theory and Symmetrical Component Networks (630.4KB)
Review symmetrical component analysis.
- Technical Paper: A Practical Guide for Detecting Single-Phasing on a Three-Phase Power System (864.8KB)
Reference for the loss of one or two phases of a radial three-phase system and includes suggested detection and protection methods.
- Technical Paper: A Review of System-Grounding Methods and Zero-Sequence Current Sources (762.3KB)
Grounding methods, sources of ground current, ground-current flow in the power system, and how each impacts protective relaying.
- Technical Paper: A Survey of Cold Load Pickup Practices (668.6KB)
Cold load pickup, the causes and effects.
- Technical Paper: Analysis of Transformer Inrush Current and Comparison of Harmonic Restraint Methods in Transformer Protection (951.7KB)
Factors affecting the second-harmonic ratio in inrush current and various harmonic restraint methods.
- Technical Paper: Breaker Monitoring with Numerical Relays (392KB)
Breaker duty/contact wear monitoring.
- Technical Paper: Bus-Protective Relaying, Methods and Application (1.5MB)
Application of bus-protective relaying, describing and comparing differences.
- Technical Paper: Commissioning Numerical Relays (681.2KB)
Experienced-based changes to commissioning tests and revised documentation of settings as a method for commissioning.
- Technical Paper: Considerations for Effective RS-485 Network Design (169.1KB)
Considerations for effective RS-485 network design.
- Technical Paper: Current Transformer Errors and Transformer Inrush as Measured by Magnetic, Optical and other Unconventional CTs (1MB)
Errors in secondary current for these primary current conditions determine when CTs are at risk, and show, using numerical analysis, the output of a saturated CT.
- Technical Paper: Distributive Generation and Interconnection: Protection, Monitoring, and Interconnection Opportunities (1.4MB)
Paralleling a distributed-generation supply to an electric power system involves protection, monitoring and control of the interconnection.
- Technical Paper: Effects of Distributed Generation on Utility Protection Schemes (383.3KB)
Addition of distributed generation to a distribution feeder can be minimized by having digital multifunction overcurrent with voltage-protection schemes.
- Technical Paper: Fundamentals and Advances in Breaker-Failure Protection (703.4KB)
Deciding whether to apply dedicated breaker failure protection.
- Technical Paper: Harmonic Sharing for Effective Detection of Transformer Inrush Condition in Differential Protection Scheme (564KB)
Harmonic sharing in transformer differential protection improves security for some inrush conditions, while maintaining sensitivity.
- Technical Paper: Life Lessons from the Power System (681.3KB)
Explores the basic principles of relay protection design and relay protection commissioning, while reflecting upon lessons learned.
- Technical Paper: Myths of Protecting the Distributed Resource To Electric Power System Interconnection (739.4KB)
For the ideology of power-system protection, the myths described in this paper are better described as conditional truths rather than half-truths.
- Technical Paper: Predicting Current Differential Relay Tripping (1.6MB)
Testing current differential relays at final settings.
- Technical Paper: Protective Relaying Methods for Reducing Arc-Flash Energy (653.1KB)
Arc flash standards/requirements and high-speed detection and operation techniques used to reduce arc-flash energy via protective relays.
- Technical Paper: Protective Relaying When Distributed Generation is Added to Your Circuit (474.5KB)
Advantages of having numeric multifunction protection in place when distributed generation is added to a radial-distribution circuit.
- Technical Paper: Reliability Considerations of Multifunction Protection (331KB)
Reliability of numerical multifunction protection systems against predecessor technologies.
- Technical Paper: Solutions for Unconventional Connection of Transformer Differential Current Transformers (982.3KB)
Analyzing unconventional current-transformer polarity connections and how to obtain the right connection to achieve the desired direction of operation or polarity.
- Technical Paper: Three Phase Transformer Winding Configurations and Differential Relay Compensation (1.2MB)
How a transformer differential relay compensates for the effects of the various transformer winding configurations.
- Technical Paper: Upgrading Relay Protection? - Be Prepared. (336.4KB)
Guidance for your next replacement or upgrade project.
- Technical Paper: Using Iop Characteristics to Troubleshoot Transformer Differential Relay Misoperation (1.2MB)
Transformer differential false trips and methods to alleviate this issue.
- Technical Paper: Zero-Sequence Circuit of Three-Legged Core Type Transformers (648.5KB)
Modified zero-sequence equivalent circuit for a three-legged core-type transformer.
- Technical Paper: Zero-Sequence Impedance of Overhead Transmission Lines (716.5KB)
Transmission-line impedances, centering on zero-sequence impedances.