- Technical Paper: Application of Islanding Protection for Industrial- and Commercial-Generators (592.1KB)
Issues associated with the islanding of an industrial- or commercial-facility power system where a synchronous generator operates in parallel with the utility source.
- Technical Paper: Arc Flash Mitigation Through Use of Voltage Controlled/Voltage Restrained Overcurrent Elements (248KB)
The use of voltage controlled/voltage restrained overcurrent elements as an arc flash mitigation technique.
- Technical Paper: Breaker Monitoring with Numerical Relays (392KB)
Breaker duty/contact wear monitoring.
- Technical Paper: Commissioning Numerical Relays (681.2KB)
Experienced-based changes to commissioning tests and revised documentation of settings as a method for commissioning.
- Technical Paper: Considerations for Effective RS-485 Network Design (169.1KB)
Considerations for effective RS-485 network design.
- Technical Paper: Current Transformer Errors and Transformer Inrush as Measured by Magnetic, Optical and other Unconventional CTs (1MB)
Errors in secondary current for these primary current conditions determine when CTs are at risk, and show, using numerical analysis, the output of a saturated CT.
- Technical Paper: Directional Overcurrent Relaying in the Distributed Generation Environment (1MB)
Basics of directional overcurrent relaying as applied in modern numeric relays.
- Technical Paper: Distributive Generation and Interconnection: Protection, Monitoring, and Interconnection Opportunities (1.4MB)
Paralleling a distributed-generation supply to an electric power system involves protection, monitoring and control of the interconnection.
- Technical Paper: Effects of Distributed Generation on Utility Protection Schemes (383.3KB)
Addition of distributed generation to a distribution feeder can be minimized by having digital multifunction overcurrent with voltage-protection schemes.
- Technical Paper: Fundamentals and Advances in Breaker-Failure Protection (703.4KB)
Deciding whether to apply dedicated breaker failure protection.
- Technical Paper: Green Power - Wind Generated Protection and Control Considerations (1011.8KB)
Green power projects like wind farms allow protection and control engineers to use modern technology to provide cost effective systems.
- Technical Paper: Intertie Requirements for DGs Connected to Radial-Distribution Feeders (138.7KB)
Proposed protection requirements for distributed generation connected to radial-distribution feeders.
- Technical Paper: Life Lessons from the Power System (681.3KB)
Explores the basic principles of relay protection design and relay protection commissioning, while reflecting upon lessons learned.
- Technical Paper: Myths of Protecting the Distributed Resource To Electric Power System Interconnection (739.4KB)
For the ideology of power-system protection, the myths described in this paper are better described as conditional truths rather than half-truths.
- Technical Paper: Power Quality: Measurement of Sags and Interruptions (362.9KB)
Measurement of power quality use of meters for residential and small commercial customers as a tool to track outage issues.
- Technical Paper: Practical Experience in Commissioning Distributed Generation Installations (171.7KB)
Commissioning several distributed generation projects under the auspices of Portland General Electric's Dispatchable Generation Program.
- Technical Paper: Protection Considerations for Installation of Distributed Energy Resources (569.6KB)
This tutorial addresses issues often encountered by utility engineers and Distributed Energy Resources (DER) consultants or developers when negotiating intertie protection requirements between the DER and electric utility.
- Technical Paper: Protective Relaying Issues in Low-Voltage Systems as Addressed in the National Electric Code (1.2MB)
Low Voltage (LV) design practices, as mentioned in the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Technical Paper: Protective Relaying Methods for Reducing Arc-Flash Energy (653.1KB)
Arc flash standards/requirements and high-speed detection and operation techniques used to reduce arc-flash energy via protective relays.
- Technical Paper: Reliability Considerations of Multifunction Protection (331KB)
Reliability of numerical multifunction protection systems against predecessor technologies.
- Technical Paper: Successful DG Projects: Design and Build Considerations (869.2KB)
Design and build challenges for four DG projects.
- Technical Paper: Upgrading Intertie Protection to meet TX PU Standards (343.9KB)
Utilizing multifunction relays as the sole means of protection, not only for the plant and its generation, but also for the utility.
- Technical Paper: Upgrading Relay Protection? - Be Prepared. (336.4KB)
Guidance for your next replacement or upgrade project.
- Technical Paper: Voltage Restrained Time Overcurrent Relay Principles, Coordination, and Dynamic Testing Considerations (330.1KB)
Dynamic response of 51/27R relays in which the overcurrent element conforms to the dynamic characteristic defined in ANSI C37.112.
- Technical Paper: Who has the 32? (2.8MB)
Understanding Directional Power (ANSI device number 32) protection.